Monday, February 20, 2012

for the love of others.

Quiet house and coffee in hand. It's times like these that I like to think about the goodness of the Lord. He's just done so much.

It's President's Day and we are out of school (happy dance)! I was determined today to get up early, get ready, blog, do some crafts and just have a restful day. These days are the best. Jordan is at work, so the house is it quietest without ESPN on the television or iPad alerts. Although, I wouldn't trade those for anything in the world. I love me some Jordan. We are continuing to grow together in this marriage journey and loving every minute of it. It's amazing how being under this sacred covenant changes so much. It is truly a gift.

The Lord has just done so much in the past months. At the beginning of January, our church had a corporate fast for seven days and we had church everyday during that week. It was glorious. Ever since then, every person's heart has been stirring. The worldly one, the drug addict, the drinker, the complacent Christian, the leader, the follower. With that comes much responsibility. We have been very busy with the works of the Kingdom.

Personally, Jesus cleared my mind of much during the fast. Thoughts and situations that I have been burdened with for much time were lifted. I was given clarity about things that have gone on in my life, which pushes me to cleave to Him even more. I am thankful that we don't have to put all of our trust in a man, aren't you?! I am thankful that we have a choice.

One of the ministries in our church that I am in leadership over is our youth dance team, Ezekiel's Effect. I am blessed with the opportunity to help lead these teens closer to Jesus. And of course, I teach middle schoolers. Being involved with this age group is something that I have been a part of for a few years. I have seen some get closer to God, and some not so much. Some run as hard and as fast as their heart, soul, and mind can possibly go. I have seen some be leaders, and most be followers. My heart hurts for the followers and the runners. I was talking to my best friend, Jena the other day, and we were talking about some things that we were realizing about ourselves, on the subject of people. I realized that it was hard for me to love the back-sliding Christian. They know God's goodness and faithfulness. They know the Scriptures. They've seen and felt His presence. And what I don't understand, is what else would you want or need? Does alcohol taste that good? Does premarital sex make you feel that much accepted? And the same with defiant middle schoolers. Why do you feel the need to break rules to make your heart happy? Why do you wish to fit-in to the point of trouble? Why, why why?!

With this, over the past few weeks, I have been focusing on loving the "unloveable". Those that society deems as acceptable, but God sees as a broken life. I know it is God's will for me to love unconditionally. But, it is just not that easy all of the time. If its not a disobedient middle schooler, its a friend who I feel distant from. But, what I have come to realize is that everyone has their own struggles and situations that they go through. It is not my responsibility to worry about why they made certain decisions and the consequences of those decisions. Truly, those that are broken are probably looking for love. What I am called to do is just love, and let Jesus take care of the rest. I don't want people to look at me as someone who had a hardened heart when they needed love the most, but instead, a person who gave love when it was most needed.

Love this quote from my desktop daily teacher calendar:

"Today, see if you can stretch your heart and expand your love so that it touches not only those whom you can give it easily, but also those who need it so much."

-Daphne Rose Kingma

Let's take some advice from the Word: love God, and love others.

"And to love Him with all the heart, with all the understanding, with all the soul, and with all the strength, and to love one's neighbor as oneself, is more than all the whole burnt offerings and sacrifices." Mark 12:33


No comments:

Post a Comment