Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Attention ALL Ladies!!

Throughout my college experience, I have learned MANY lessons, which I'm sure many people in the same boat could say. But recently, there has been something on my heart that I want to stress to all women my age. If only we could truly grasp these two statments fully: 1- Don't stress and 2-Love your true self. This may be a longer blog, but I want to share my realizations from the past three years of my life.


Challenge #1: Don't Stress!

When I graduate college, I know one thing for sure- I will have an undergraduate degree in Elementary Education. But, will I have anything else to show for the past four years of my life? I mean really, four years is a long time! I know that I will have added friendships and long-lasting memories, but what about the deeply significant moments that change your life forever. As females, we very often get bogged down the everyday, mundane things of life; we think we have to look exactly right, say the right words, worry about our families or friends, or significant others.


Last semester, I found myself getting suffocated by my stressors and worries. As a college student- better yet, education major, I have tons of deadlines and little things that have to be turned in promtly. I forgot to spend quality time with friends and family, make moments that would be treasured, speak into someones life and make a difference, or give advice to a wandering freshman who's parents are getting a divorce. All of these things got pushed to the side, and pulling all-nighters and keeping my face in textbooks and novels took over. After feeling like giving up, it hit me. What will I want to tell people of my college experience- that I shed many tears and barely got through because of the stress of being a college student, OR that I lead someone to the Lord and got the chance to speak into someones life and help them through a tough situation. So, DONT STRESS! Through all of the things that I've been through, I can tell you one thing- everything ALWAYS works out. If you have done everything you could do for a class but still cant seem to receive 100%s on tests, you'll have other opportunities. Life is a journey, which means you might not always know whats coming next. But in those times that you don't know what to expect, trust the Lord, He never fails you.


Challenge #2- Love your true self!

Like I said above, being a women always has high expectations. If you get caught up in these expectations of your figure, attitude, and roles in society, you will never be able to enjoy being YOU! Summertime is approaching (YAYYY!), which means bathing suit and short season. For me, this has never been the most exciting time of year for my self-confidence. I always judge myself compared to other girls body and fashion sense this time of the year. After getting caught up in myself about this subject, something else hit me! Why spend life trying to measure up to everyone's standards and view of what YOU should be- even people that you don't even know! It's craziness- the measures women will go just to "fit in" to society. So, I've decided that I don't want to be the skinniest girl on the block- or even the prettiest. I don't want to require approval from my family or boyfriend that I'm smart or funny. I don't want to "fit in" with this clique or that one. I just want to be ME! What's so wrong about a girl trying to be herself?! I want to make my own dreams and goals, then accomplish them. I want to be an effective leader. I want to make a difference in someone's life by being a teacher. I want to be the best wife and momma some day. I want to do the best I can to be a positive part of society. So, to ALL females- no matter what age or race- be yourself! Show people your true colors and dont blend in. Besides, if everyone were the same, this world would be quite boring. :)



"...that we should no longer be children, tossed to and for and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, in the cunning craftiness of deceitful plotting, but, speaking the truth in love, may grow up in all things into Him who is the head-Christ-" Ephesians 4:14-15

2 comments:

  1. This is an encouraing post! We women are tough on ourselves (and others!) Haha I will try to remember #2 when I am out in my bathing suit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, my friend just shared this on her blog:

    Prescription for contentment from linda dillow's, calm my anxious heart:

    -never allow yourself to complain about anything - not even the weather.
    -never picture yourself in any other circumstances or someplace else.
    -never compare your lot with another's.
    -never allow yourself to wish this or that had been otherwise.
    -never dwell on tomorrow - remember that tomorrow is God's, not ours.

    ReplyDelete